I signed up at work for Relay For Life. I've never done one before so didn't really know what to expect. Let me tell you, it was more than I could have dreamed of!
This was the first year that Costco had a team so no one really knew what to expect and we were disorganized and didn't even have a sign or anything. But we did have an experience!
K.C. and the girls came along with me just so we could spend the evening together. Turns out they could have camped out with us all night and even could have joined the team. Next year! Quinn was very disappointed that she couldn't stay so we decided that her, Syd and daddy could camp out at home! Daddy set up the castle tent (it was too scary to sleep it) and pulled the air mattress out into the family room. I think it ended up that he and Syd slept on the mattress while Quinn slept on the couch.
Anyway, we got there right when they were doing the survivor's lap. Very emotional and inspirational! After that we got to our camp site and started setting up tents and what not. Then it was time to do the team photo and team lap. I think there were something like 32 teams there, though it really didn't seem like it. It wasn't crowded at all so it was nice.
This is our official team photo (that's Mt. Si in the background):
The Costco Hotdogs
Tara, Kimberly, Eileen, Pat & me
This is our team lap. Quinn decided she was going to join us on this one. I had to carry her for about half of it! To her credit, a lap is half a mile so she did a good quarter mile.
After the lap we were checking things out and decorating our luminaria. We bought one on line for Grandpa Jordan since he lost his life due to cancer. Had I known more, I could have gotten one for all of the people that are fighting and that have survived: Grandma Wake is a survivor, Grandpa Wake is currently fighting, my Dad is a survivor, and our friend Vicki is currently fighting. Those are just the ones off the top of my head. Next year you all will have bags! Here is the one the girls decorated for Grandpa Jordan:
Quinn's side:
Sydney's side:
I didn't realize that when you buy one on line, volunteers decorate it for you. So, Grandpa ended up with two bags. I didn't know it then but it turned out to be a good thing later on. This is the one that was decorated for us:
The girls got to pick a treat out of the treat box and they both chose these lollipops. I didn't mind since they were going home with daddy:-)
This is the lovely view of Mt. Si we had the whole time we were there.
Each team had to have at least one person walking at all times. This so wasn't a race and nobody kept track of walkers or anything, but that is what we are suppose to do. Kimberly's husband cooked and brought us all dinner, which was super yummy (even though I had to pick the chicken out of it). Then we got busy walking. Once it got dark they did the luminaria ceramony. Again, very emotional and inspiring. We listened to a song, watched a video and then took turns going up to light our candles and walking to our luminaria and lighting them. Turns out Kimberly didn't get around to buying/decorating one for her dad (she lost him 6 years ago) so I told her she could have my extra one. I would light the one the girls decorated and she would light the one the volunteers decorated. She was really grateful and happy for that. All I could think was that was what Grandpa would want. While we were walking to the luminaria (they were in alphabetical order and ours just so happened to be straight across the field from our camp, so grandpa was there was us) it seemed like I was the only one getting stopped and asked for a light. I'm sure I wasn't the only one but it really made me fell like I was sharing the sunshine and joyful nature of grandpa with everyone.
We lit the candles and then our luminaria in silence out of respect so I will do the same with the pictures taken at the ceremony:
I was totally motivated after that. It helped that they kept bringing in free food:-) It made me want to stay up to see what we got to eat next! Plus, PartyLite donated the tealights in the luminaria (which they kept going till the end of the relay) so it smelled so good! Kimberly stayed up with me so we kept each other going. The rest of our team tried to sleep in the tents. Tara had her whole family there so they brought their own tent and Eileen and Pat stayed in Eileen's tent. Next year we know that we should all sign up for designated walking times but, honestly, I didn't mind walking all night. Kimberly and I shared stories and we laughed about the fact that while alive, grandpa never went over 25 miles an hour and after he died and was being driven to Lusk, the hurst got pulled over and the driver received a speeding ticket. Just classic!
There were other die hard walkers all night so we'd talk and laugh with them. There was entertainment all night long, mostly just music playing. We ended up walking 20.5 miles throughout the night. It was something!
And how can you beat seeing the sunrise?! Just beautiful!
I especially loved the sunrise and fog combination we had going on for a while. Trust me when I say the pictures do not do it justice!
This event was totally worth the lack of sleep, the sore muscles and the time away from my family. It was so spiritual for me and something I'm looking forward to doing again next year.
So, here's to all who have lost their lives, all of you that are fighting for your lives and all of you that have beat it! I'd gladly walk another 20.5 miles or more for you!
No comments:
Post a Comment