Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!



Happy Halloween Everyone! It's finally here! Not that I've been anxiously awaiting it or anything. It's more like I thought I may have missed it since the Christmas stuff is already out and I didn't get around to putting up Halloween decorations this year so I'm a little holiday confused right now.

I am hoping to get the song that has been stuck in my head all week out for good after today. It's not even a real song or anything. Moose A. Moose on Noggin sings a little diddy about candy corn. "I don't like candy corn, no I don't like candy corn" and that's all I can remember but it plays over and over and over again in my head. I have even found myself humming it - at work, at home, grocery shopping, at Little Gym. Sad. But it does make me think of my Mom since she LOVES candy corn! So that part is not so bad. But I'm over the song already.
Anyway, moving on...

We woke up to a gray, rainy Halloween morning. Actually, I woke up to Quinn standing beside my bed telling me that it was a rainy morning and that I should get up. Why - I wondered to myself. Then I remembered the Halloween bags of goodies I set out for the girls the night before to find when we went down for breakfast. That made me smile and so I got up and started the day.

The girls enjoyed finding their bag of goodies: a book, a little plush thing that I stuffed full of candy and a flashlight - cat for Quinn, pumpkin for Sydney. They mostly enjoyed the fact that they got to eat one of the treats before breakfast! I enjoyed that part too - even though I've been doing it all week!

We got dressed in our costumes and headed to the park for 'Trunk-Or-Treat'. It was fun to see the kids dressed up - even if it was raining! They didn't seem to mind a bit when they found out there were treats involved! One of the trunks had one of those bowls with the hand sticking up and when you grab the candy, the hand 'grabs' you. Quinn got to experience that and it didn't seem to really faze her at the time. But for the entire ride home and pretty much the rest of the day, all she could talk about was that stupid hand! "That hand didn't want me to take a treat", "That hand said NO Quinn, you can't have my treat", "That hand just wanted to keep the treats", "That hand was in the bowl with the treats", "That hand was green", "What color is your hand?", "What color is my hand", "Can my hand stay in the bowl with the treats?", "I just wanted to take a treat but that hand didn't want me to", "That hand........" I finally quit listening after awhile as she started to repeat herself. Stupid hand! Hmmmmmm, I wonder where she gets her obsessiveness from? (playing in background: I don't like candy corn, no I don't like candy corn.....)

My Super Girls were super hard to get out of their costumes so we could eat lunch -"NNNNOOOOOOOOOOO! I'm Super Girl! I need to wear my costume! I can't be Super Girl without my costume!" is what I got from Quinn. From Sydney I got "NNNNOOOOOOOO! NO NO NO NO! NNNNOOOOOOOOO! soupaoeiurlsejroiufoaieuroioiuouoieurwoeirlakjfosguaosjrawo!" which I loosely translated to mean "No, I would rather not remove my costume at this time Mother but thank you so much for asking!" - or something like that.

Our costumes this year were inspired by Quinn. She has a 'Super Girl' shirt (just a red shirt with the 'S' emblem in blue on it) that she got over a year ago. The thing doesn't fit her but she insists on wearing it all the time! In fact she goes back and forth between Super Girl shirt and Bronco shirt. But the Bronco shirt has to be her orange Bronco shirt (again, she got it over a year ago) because her nice new Bronco shirt/jersey that actually fits her is pink. And, according to her, Bronco shirts are NOT pink (yes, her Daddy is SO proud)! So, if anyone is wondering what gift she will get the most use out of this year, think Bronco shirt (5T) that is orange and/or blue and preferably one with the logo on it! Okay, back to our costumes. So the shirt coupled with the fact that I came home from work one night to find K.C., Quinn and Sydney with blankets around them like capes, running through the house yelling "We are Superheros! We're here to save the day! We are SU-PER HEROOOOOOOS!" and I don't know what all! So in my quest for costumes I happened upon an adult size Super Girl costume. I thought Quinn would be SO proud to have her Mommy be Super Girl so I HAD to get it! And then I found toddler size Super Girl outfits. That was a no brainer! We would be the Valentine Super Girls! So the next trick was finding a Super Hero costume for K.C. At first the only thing I could find with a cape was Super Beer Man costume. Not really appropriate for handing out candy but if we were going to an adult party, perfect. Then I found it. It was like a light was shining on it, pointing the way for me. It was Batman! Well, killjoy, I mean K.C., was less than impressed with it. He thought the costume was cool and all but there was no way in heck he was wearing it. I tried to convince him. Told him to imagine how cool it would be for kids to come trick-or-treat at our house and find Batman there, passing out candy. He agreed, it would be cool. I thought I had persuaded him to wear it. Turns out he was just agreeing that it would be cool - but there was still no way in heck he was wearing the costume. So, I took it back:( And now, to quote Quinn, "Daddy is just going to be Daddy for Halloween." Party pooper!

The rain cleared up in the afternoon so we had a nice evening for trick-or-treating. I got all made up (yes my friends, I'm wearing blue and gold eyeshadow and have my hair teased up as high as I could get it:) Rock on brothers and sisters, rock on!) and was getting the girls made up when we started getting trick-or-treaters. First it was Jack & Cindy as we missed them at the trunk-or-treat at the park. Next was some neighbors so we had them come in so we could all check out each others costumes. Then we headed out to do some trick-or-treating of our own. Quinn seemed to remember what to do from last year. She was really into it and not afraid at all. Sydney followed along and sometimes seemed confused that we weren't going in the houses. She wasn't shy at some places as she grabbed a handful of candy instead of just one. We only saw one other Super Girl out and about so I think we got some unique costumes this time - at least for our neighborhood! After we got home there was a Super Man that was probably a little older than Sydney that came to the door. It was too darn cute and I curse myself for not thinking about grabbing the camera! The boy was so amazed that there were two little Super Girls and one big one - like he found where the super heros lived or something! Quinn lost interest after she put the candy in his bag. He and Sydney just stood there staring at each other for the longest time. It was so funny.

After we got home and K.C. and I picked out what we wanted, er, uh, I mean after we sorted through it and pulled all of the 'suspicious' looking candy, we let the girls pick one treat to eat before getting ready for bed. Quinn picked fruit leather (kind of like a fruit roll but it's all natural) - probably because it was the biggest thing in the basket:) and Sydney picked a sucker - always goes for the suckers - probably because they last longer. I tell you what, I'm raising some smart sweet-tooths around here!

All in all we had a great Halloween this year. Quinn is already talking about dressing up and going trick-or-treating next year. Silly kid! Hope you all had a good Halloween and got lots of sweet treats - even if you had to go buy them for yourself!

Here's a smilebox with lots of pictures and video from the day and evening. Enjoy!:

Click to play
Create your own <span class=slideshow - Powered by Smilebox" src="http://www.smilebox.com/globalImages/blogInstructions/blogLogoSmileboxSmall.gif" width=386>
Make a Smilebox slideshow


Spook ya next year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I finally got to view the SmileBox today! LOL! How cute are you guys!! I love the music you picked too. . .reminded me of the stuff they play at the opening of an Ozzy Ozbourne concert!