I can't believe it's been so long since I posted! I'm almost going through withdrawals:)
Thanksgiving:
We had a good Thanksgiving but it wasn't the nice, relaxing day I had envisioned. Quinn and I were the first ones up - before 8 a.m.! So, we headed downstairs to get the turkey in the oven. I washed it, pulled all of the guts out, or so I thought anyway (those darn gizzards - why do they put them in a different place from the neck and whatever else it was that I pulled out of the cavity?! Every darn year!), patted it dry, rubbed it down with olive oil and Quinn shook the seasonings on it. She'd ask what it was. I'd tell her it's a turkey. She'd laugh. She'd ask what we were doing with it. I'd tell her cooking it so we can eat it. She'd laugh. Then she'd tell me that it was gross and she didn't like it and wasn't going to eat it. I told her I agreed with her and if she didn't want to eat any, that was fine with me. She'd laugh.
K.C. and Sydney got up soon after so we started making our calls to the family to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. K.C. hung up some blinds and I helped out when needed then I set about making the rest of the dinner so it would be done and ready as soon as Mr. Turkey was done. We had mashed potatoes & gravy, corn, stuffing, Szechwan asparagus (hey, it was cheaper than the plain old frozen asparagus and it was super yummy to boot!), rolls, cranberry sauce from the can (a MUST have in our house) and Caesar salad. To drink we had some peach flavored sparkling grape juice and drank it out of wine glasses - it was super yummy too! Dessert was a Costco pumpkin pie with a ton of Ready Whip on it. I did teach the girls the fine art of eating it out of the can:) The pie was disappointing - not enough spice or something. Next year I'll try to make my own I guess.
I had visions of a nice, long nap after dinner so the girls and I headed upstairs. Right as I almost reached my beloved dreamland, Quinn told me she had to go potty. I told her to go tell her Dad. Didn't matter - I couldn't get back to sleep what with everything I needed to get done dancing through my head. grumble, grumble, grumble. I have no idea what it was that I actually did but it kept me busy until Sydney got up from her nap. Then it was time to put up the tree!
That just didn't go as well as it did last year. TWO little hands grabbing at ornaments. New ornaments that required the putting of hooks into them. PMS. PMS. Oh, and PMS. Plus the knowledge that I had to work an eight hour shift the next day, the day after that and the day after that. Not relaxing at all. But, we got the tree up, ornaments on, plugged it in and called it decorated!
The crap that followed:
I was very surprised at how well Black Friday went at Costco. It wasn't as busy as I had thought it would be - just steady throughout the day. I was on the front end all weekend so had been gearing up to face Johnny Q. Public at their worst. But, in fact, the worse part of the day was when they stuck me on the stupid perfume table. UGH! I'm not a perfume wearer. I don't like it - it stinks and gives me a headache. That's not to say that those of you who do wear it stink. I just don't like it in the bottle. Or on people that choose to swim in it. You get the idea. Anyway, I finally told them that I couldn't stand it any more and needed to be taken off that table. I actually said that I'd rather go clean the bathrooms than stand there another minute. They didn't take me up on the cleaning of the bathrooms but they did get someone to take my place at the table. I think I may have lasted about 45 minutes is all.
Saturday was the same as Friday as far a volume. Maybe a little busier. I was paired with a guy that is just a cashier as opposed to 'Front End' like me. So, that meant that I wouldn't get to cashier that day. But, we had a fun day working together so the day went by fast. They stuck me on the perfume table again. At first I said no but then asked how long they needed me there. Only 15 minutes to cover a break. I can do that. And did with no problem - except trying to answer perfume questions. Apparently customers don't like to hear that you think all of it stinks and spending $45 on a bottle is absurd! I didn't say it out loud of course - but that's what I thought every time someone came up and commented on what a great price it was. Huh? I realize it all had celebrity names on it but people actually pay double the price for this crap that gives me a headache? What is the world coming to?!
Sunday didn't start off so well. I woke up with my left eye swollen almost all the way shut and my right eye not far behind. Remember my little allergic reaction to makeup from Halloween? I can't even believe that I went a whole month dealing with it - that's how busy I think I am! Anyway, I thought it was probably time to head to Urgent Care to get it taken care of. Three prescriptions later - Prednisone pills for the swelling, patanol drops for the itching and bacitracin ointment so the open cuts (yes, that's how swollen they were) didn't get infected - and I was only an hour and a half late to work! The good news on all of that is my blood pressure is great, my oxygen saturation level is great and my vision in each eye is 20/15! That Lasik I had done 8 years ago sure has been one of the best investments we've made! Once at work I had a pretty easy day until right at the end. Remember the gal from a previous post that was my annoying assistant when I was cashiering? Well, she finally got her training. She told me that her first time on a register (the day before Thanksgiving) she screwed up and was told that she could get written up. All weekend long she talked about how mad she was that they weren't putting her on a register. Well, at the end of the day they paired us up - she insisted that SHE would be the cashier. Fine with me! Oh, this girl. It wasn't enough for her that she was cashiering. She was actually trying to tell me how to do my job too! It was all I could do to bite my tongue the whole time! I really, really, really wanted to say something sarcastic or mean or any old way just to shut her up and put her in her place. But, I would much rather demonstrate the grace and maturity and class that I strive to teach my girls to do. Stop laughing - it could happen! So, I just smiled the whole time, worked as hard as I normally do and stopped long enough to answer her questions she had (HA!) and give her words of encouragement. Told you it could happen! Technically I'm not being snotty and mean and sarcastic if I'm keeping the words in my head and not letting them flow through my mouth! Of course I've come to see that sometimes people are put into your life as a sort of mirror for you. So, as soon as I got home I gave K.C. a big 'ol hug and kiss and apologized for thinking that I know everything and treating him like he didn't. Lesson learned so could I please be done with this girl already?!
Monday rolled around and I spent the better part of the day catching up our receipts in the checkbook and balancing it all out. I'm banned from wearing makeup for a week and am back in the deli for work for the rest of the year so getting ready was fast and easy. I got the girls all ready to go and got them in the car and...it wouldn't start. CRAP!!!!! My first thought was the battery. It had been sitting outside all weekend and although it hasn't been all that frigid out, my car is a little sensitive. I waited and tried it again a few more times. Nothing. I called K.C. right away so he could start heading home just in case I couldn't get it started then I called a few neighbors until I found one home and asked if they could come give me a jump start. That didn't work. They thought maybe it was the starter. Great. K.C. made it home in good time but I still ended up being about 20 minutes late to work. sigh. K.C. messed with the car and doesn't think it's the started. Now I'm wondering if it's the alternator? Ha - like I really know what I'm talking about! All I know is it damn well better not be that stupid transmission again! We're trying to hold off until May before getting a new car since that's when our tags expire - and so we can save some money for a down payment and all. I have no idea what we're going to do with it now. I guess I'll try starting it again later and see where that gets me.
I don't want to end the post on a negative note so here's some updates on the girls:
Sydney is talking more and more and we can actually understand most of what she says! She's growing up so fast!
Quinn is 100% potty trained! We ended up opening up the big 'ol Costco size box of pull ups and used maybe two of them. She had gone about a week consecutively without going potty in her pull up so I mentioned to her one morning that it was probably time to go to bed with underwear on instead of a pull up. K.C. overheard that so when he put her to bed that night, she was in her underwear. I was at work and got home just in time to hear all about this disaster that K.C. just got done dealing with. (smile). Turns out Quinn had to go potty but didn't quite wake up all the way so he found her in her room, crying, with her pants half-way down and pee all over the place. I totally lucked out on that one! That is the only accident she's had! She's been sleeping in her underwear now for over a week. Sometimes she gets up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night but she hasn't had to be changed at all! What a big girl she is!
I forgot to mention this before so thought I'd bring this post back full circle. Here is what we are thankful for this year:
Sydney: (silence). She's maybe a little too young to get it just yet.
Quinn: Eating. Just in general I guess. Smart girl!
K.C.: Little girls.
Me: The family I was born into, the family I married into, the friends we call our family and the family we started.
Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving - followed by good crap!
Our Thanksgiving Feast

FLASHBACK - Sydney, Thanksgiving dinner 2007...

...and now.
FLASHBACK - Quinn, Thanksgiving dinner 2007...

...and now.

Thanksgiving:
We had a good Thanksgiving but it wasn't the nice, relaxing day I had envisioned. Quinn and I were the first ones up - before 8 a.m.! So, we headed downstairs to get the turkey in the oven. I washed it, pulled all of the guts out, or so I thought anyway (those darn gizzards - why do they put them in a different place from the neck and whatever else it was that I pulled out of the cavity?! Every darn year!), patted it dry, rubbed it down with olive oil and Quinn shook the seasonings on it. She'd ask what it was. I'd tell her it's a turkey. She'd laugh. She'd ask what we were doing with it. I'd tell her cooking it so we can eat it. She'd laugh. Then she'd tell me that it was gross and she didn't like it and wasn't going to eat it. I told her I agreed with her and if she didn't want to eat any, that was fine with me. She'd laugh.
K.C. and Sydney got up soon after so we started making our calls to the family to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. K.C. hung up some blinds and I helped out when needed then I set about making the rest of the dinner so it would be done and ready as soon as Mr. Turkey was done. We had mashed potatoes & gravy, corn, stuffing, Szechwan asparagus (hey, it was cheaper than the plain old frozen asparagus and it was super yummy to boot!), rolls, cranberry sauce from the can (a MUST have in our house) and Caesar salad. To drink we had some peach flavored sparkling grape juice and drank it out of wine glasses - it was super yummy too! Dessert was a Costco pumpkin pie with a ton of Ready Whip on it. I did teach the girls the fine art of eating it out of the can:) The pie was disappointing - not enough spice or something. Next year I'll try to make my own I guess.
I had visions of a nice, long nap after dinner so the girls and I headed upstairs. Right as I almost reached my beloved dreamland, Quinn told me she had to go potty. I told her to go tell her Dad. Didn't matter - I couldn't get back to sleep what with everything I needed to get done dancing through my head. grumble, grumble, grumble. I have no idea what it was that I actually did but it kept me busy until Sydney got up from her nap. Then it was time to put up the tree!
That just didn't go as well as it did last year. TWO little hands grabbing at ornaments. New ornaments that required the putting of hooks into them. PMS. PMS. Oh, and PMS. Plus the knowledge that I had to work an eight hour shift the next day, the day after that and the day after that. Not relaxing at all. But, we got the tree up, ornaments on, plugged it in and called it decorated!
The crap that followed:
I was very surprised at how well Black Friday went at Costco. It wasn't as busy as I had thought it would be - just steady throughout the day. I was on the front end all weekend so had been gearing up to face Johnny Q. Public at their worst. But, in fact, the worse part of the day was when they stuck me on the stupid perfume table. UGH! I'm not a perfume wearer. I don't like it - it stinks and gives me a headache. That's not to say that those of you who do wear it stink. I just don't like it in the bottle. Or on people that choose to swim in it. You get the idea. Anyway, I finally told them that I couldn't stand it any more and needed to be taken off that table. I actually said that I'd rather go clean the bathrooms than stand there another minute. They didn't take me up on the cleaning of the bathrooms but they did get someone to take my place at the table. I think I may have lasted about 45 minutes is all.
Saturday was the same as Friday as far a volume. Maybe a little busier. I was paired with a guy that is just a cashier as opposed to 'Front End' like me. So, that meant that I wouldn't get to cashier that day. But, we had a fun day working together so the day went by fast. They stuck me on the perfume table again. At first I said no but then asked how long they needed me there. Only 15 minutes to cover a break. I can do that. And did with no problem - except trying to answer perfume questions. Apparently customers don't like to hear that you think all of it stinks and spending $45 on a bottle is absurd! I didn't say it out loud of course - but that's what I thought every time someone came up and commented on what a great price it was. Huh? I realize it all had celebrity names on it but people actually pay double the price for this crap that gives me a headache? What is the world coming to?!
Sunday didn't start off so well. I woke up with my left eye swollen almost all the way shut and my right eye not far behind. Remember my little allergic reaction to makeup from Halloween? I can't even believe that I went a whole month dealing with it - that's how busy I think I am! Anyway, I thought it was probably time to head to Urgent Care to get it taken care of. Three prescriptions later - Prednisone pills for the swelling, patanol drops for the itching and bacitracin ointment so the open cuts (yes, that's how swollen they were) didn't get infected - and I was only an hour and a half late to work! The good news on all of that is my blood pressure is great, my oxygen saturation level is great and my vision in each eye is 20/15! That Lasik I had done 8 years ago sure has been one of the best investments we've made! Once at work I had a pretty easy day until right at the end. Remember the gal from a previous post that was my annoying assistant when I was cashiering? Well, she finally got her training. She told me that her first time on a register (the day before Thanksgiving) she screwed up and was told that she could get written up. All weekend long she talked about how mad she was that they weren't putting her on a register. Well, at the end of the day they paired us up - she insisted that SHE would be the cashier. Fine with me! Oh, this girl. It wasn't enough for her that she was cashiering. She was actually trying to tell me how to do my job too! It was all I could do to bite my tongue the whole time! I really, really, really wanted to say something sarcastic or mean or any old way just to shut her up and put her in her place. But, I would much rather demonstrate the grace and maturity and class that I strive to teach my girls to do. Stop laughing - it could happen! So, I just smiled the whole time, worked as hard as I normally do and stopped long enough to answer her questions she had (HA!) and give her words of encouragement. Told you it could happen! Technically I'm not being snotty and mean and sarcastic if I'm keeping the words in my head and not letting them flow through my mouth! Of course I've come to see that sometimes people are put into your life as a sort of mirror for you. So, as soon as I got home I gave K.C. a big 'ol hug and kiss and apologized for thinking that I know everything and treating him like he didn't. Lesson learned so could I please be done with this girl already?!
Monday rolled around and I spent the better part of the day catching up our receipts in the checkbook and balancing it all out. I'm banned from wearing makeup for a week and am back in the deli for work for the rest of the year so getting ready was fast and easy. I got the girls all ready to go and got them in the car and...it wouldn't start. CRAP!!!!! My first thought was the battery. It had been sitting outside all weekend and although it hasn't been all that frigid out, my car is a little sensitive. I waited and tried it again a few more times. Nothing. I called K.C. right away so he could start heading home just in case I couldn't get it started then I called a few neighbors until I found one home and asked if they could come give me a jump start. That didn't work. They thought maybe it was the starter. Great. K.C. made it home in good time but I still ended up being about 20 minutes late to work. sigh. K.C. messed with the car and doesn't think it's the started. Now I'm wondering if it's the alternator? Ha - like I really know what I'm talking about! All I know is it damn well better not be that stupid transmission again! We're trying to hold off until May before getting a new car since that's when our tags expire - and so we can save some money for a down payment and all. I have no idea what we're going to do with it now. I guess I'll try starting it again later and see where that gets me.
I don't want to end the post on a negative note so here's some updates on the girls:
Sydney is talking more and more and we can actually understand most of what she says! She's growing up so fast!
Quinn is 100% potty trained! We ended up opening up the big 'ol Costco size box of pull ups and used maybe two of them. She had gone about a week consecutively without going potty in her pull up so I mentioned to her one morning that it was probably time to go to bed with underwear on instead of a pull up. K.C. overheard that so when he put her to bed that night, she was in her underwear. I was at work and got home just in time to hear all about this disaster that K.C. just got done dealing with. (smile). Turns out Quinn had to go potty but didn't quite wake up all the way so he found her in her room, crying, with her pants half-way down and pee all over the place. I totally lucked out on that one! That is the only accident she's had! She's been sleeping in her underwear now for over a week. Sometimes she gets up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night but she hasn't had to be changed at all! What a big girl she is!
I forgot to mention this before so thought I'd bring this post back full circle. Here is what we are thankful for this year:
Sydney: (silence). She's maybe a little too young to get it just yet.
Quinn: Eating. Just in general I guess. Smart girl!
K.C.: Little girls.
Me: The family I was born into, the family I married into, the friends we call our family and the family we started.
Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving - followed by good crap!
Our Thanksgiving Feast
FLASHBACK - Sydney, Thanksgiving dinner 2007...
...and now.
FLASHBACK - Quinn, Thanksgiving dinner 2007...
...and now.
4 comments:
Great post! I'm sorry about your eye and not getting to relax as much as you would have liked. If you can, you should think about buying a car now since you'd probably get a great deal what with the automakers in trouble and the economy down.
love you,
Tami
Oooohhhh, good point on the car sister! That makes me excited! I'm calling K.C. right now:)
Nice form on eating the whipped cream. Looks as if you have taught the girls well too. Love your hair. . .very edgy! Just don't go "emo" on us! ;-)
Your little girls are beautiful! I love reading your posts! Especially the Costco ones. I'll remember to use the same restraints with idiots the next time myself. Actually, I usually do. It is actually much more fun to use restraint, isn't it?
Post a Comment