When we first moved here (and pretty much every waking hour since) all I've heard about is Trader Joe's. So, I got off work a little early yesterday and since there just happens to be one right down the street from work, I decided I'd stop in to see what all the hubbub was about. SO glad I did! I don't really know how to describe it other than it's kind of like a Wild Oats/Whole Foods type of store - but not. It's got the good for you stuff with none of the bad stuff added, lots of vegan and vegetarian foods plus organic meats and most if not all of the food is made by them.
I broke the cardinal rule of shopping and went in hungry but really controlled myself. This is what I bought to try: Quesadilla Calabasita/Cheese (frozen quesadillas basically loaded with black beans and veggies but so much better than what I can make at home!), Garlic Naan (which is an Eastern Indian bread and sooooooo yummy - this is frozen and takes only a couple of minutes to heat up in the oven so it's fast AND good and tastes just like what you get in an Indian restaurant!), tortilla chips to go with the Hot & Smoky Chipotle Salsa (YUMMY! Even the girls like it - with a chaser of milk though since it is spicy) and I think my very best find is the Vegetable Masala Burger. Oh, let me tell you, if I had known that somewhere in the world there existed a veggie burger that didn't have that freaky texture to it AND tasted like I was eating an Indian meal - I would have traveled however long the distance just to get a taste:) This veggie burger has potatoes, carrots, green beans, bell peppers, onions, corn, green peppers and all of those yummy Indian spices like ginger, turmeric and mustard seed. Plus it's vegan for those of you that swing that way. I don't so I added a great big pile of cheese to mine and ate it wrapped up in the Naan. Oh heaven!
I looked to see if there were any in Colorado, Wyoming or Texas. There's not so you are all just going to have to make the trek here to see what I'm talking about!
Being a picky eater and a vegetarian on top of that, I'm always excited when I find a place that caters to my tastes. It's not too expensive either - I think I spent around $13 on those 5 items. Now if they would just come out with their products in bulk. Like I've mentioned before, if I can buy good stuff (meaning stuff that is good AND good for you) that will keep for long periods of time in bulk form and at a great price, well, quit frankly, that is like porn to me:) But it gets even better as there is talk about one opening up in MV in the next year! One close to work and one close to home. How'd a girl like me get so lucky?!
Monday, October 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
YOU like Indian food??! Who'd thunk it! I'm addicted to it and sad we don't have a good restuarant here in Cheyenne. :( However, the brand called Amy's makes 3 or 4 AWESOMELY, YUMMY frozen Indian food dinners if you need something in a hurry and are craving the curry! Try it. I wish we had Trader Joe's here too.
Yes, I LOVE Indian food! We'd hit up Jewel of India on 104th and Federal at least twice a month for the lunch buffet (we called it the Indian Buffet)when we lived in CO. Sadly, we've only had it ONCE since we've moved here. Not that we can't find a good resataurant - we just can't eat out as much and they are all a bit of a drive from us:( I've seen the Amy's stuff in the store so I'll pick up one to try. Actually, Costco has a Chicken Tikka masala (one of K.C.'s favorites) that is partially cooked in the deli and you bring it home and finish cooking it. I tried the sauce and it was good - K.C. loved it so we may have found his fix:)
Post a Comment